Monday, May 26, 2008

Finding Boxelder Burl in Utah



Papa Ray was recently in Utah for business to attend a meeting of the USDA Agricultural Air Quality Taskforce. While there he visited Grandma Knighton in Logan several times. She recently underwent back surgery and is recovering slowly. He also played golf several times with his brother Gary. Papa also got to be a part of Ella's birthday celebration.

Papa Ray loves to do woodworking and found a source of Boxelder Burl in Logan. The Burl is becoming increasingly rare. It was fun getting this 18 lb piece home in his luggage. He has another 65 lb piece stored at Hilary's house.Let him know what kind of project you think this burl could become.

The annual garden is also coming along. Everything is planted and we have been eating asparagus, spinach and lettuce for awhile. Today we had our first picking of strawberries--about a half gallon. We immediately made some into "strawberries Romanoff" and we had "Yuccy salad" with fresh strawberries for dinner.

3 comments:

The KnightonKlan said...

Dad,
Nice post!!! All I could think of when I saw that big piece of Burl was that now Hilary has some at her house too! Maybe you should try finding some rare wood in Idaho Falls and leave some at Natalie's for the tri-fecta. Still wondering what to do with a huge Myrtlewood stump in my garage.

Snedakers said...

No thank you! I have no room at my house!!!! Fun to see your garden, I am strawberry jealous! I will post a pic of my garden when you can actually tell something's growing there. What is burl anyway?

Natalie

The Terrell Family said...

Brother and Sister Knighton, I found your blog through Hilary's. I showed my parents and they send their hellos!! We're only a few hours away, maybe you would like a couple "adopted" grandkids =)
-Alicia (Allen) Terrell