Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Agnes Lamar Conference Room


Several years ago the Bradford Pear that was next to the driveway split in half during a major storm. I eventually cut down the tree and dug out the stump. Earlier this year, one of the ladies at work passed away with more than 45 years on the job. We decided to name a conference room in her honor. Several suggestions were made for plaques to hang in the room. I volunteered to make one. I immediately thought of the root ball that I had dug. I had thrown it in the woods behind the house. I managed to find it all the way at the bottom of the hill. I cut a cross-section through the root ball with the chainsaw, sanded it flat, covered it with several coats of epoxy, and then embedded an engraved sign in the last coat of epoxy. There were numerous voids in the cross-section where the roots had grown around rocks and soil in addition to a highly figured grain pattern. This unique plaque now hangs in the Agnes Lamar Conference Room.

No comments: