Saturday, December 6, 2008

Cubic Perspective

I thought I would post pictures of one of my most recent projects that also used my newly acquired drum sander. The turned polychromatic, segmented platter is 14.75 in. in dia. and 1.575 in. thick. It is constructed of walnut, cherry, and mahogany. The feature ring consists of equilateral parallelograms or rhombuses in different grain orientations to give the illusion of a cube. There are a total of 146 pieces. It is finished with tung oil and carnauba wax. I donated it to a charity auction at work.

3 comments:

Papa&Nana said...

The platter brought $200 at the auction.

The Cranes said...

I can't even think of a smart-aleck remark. That's beautiful!

The KnightonKlan said...

Things like that need to be handed down to eldest sons... to heck with charity auctions!

Oh charities, so needy. Blah, blah.

Nice work, dad.